We act for the foundations of the largest hospitals in Nova Scotia, small individual foundations, and a wide range of non-profit organizations including golf clubs, yacht clubs, athletic and cultural organizations, health, conservation, and community organizations. We are intimately familiar with the laws that govern activity in this sector. We apply our knowledge in order to help our clients achieve their public purpose.
Many of the lawyers at the firm serve, or have served, on the boards of charitable and non-profit organizations including: Alderney Landing Association, Alice Housing, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Brain Injury Association of Nova Scotia, Capital Health Research Board, Dartmouth Literacy Network, Dartmouth General Hospital, Izaak Walton Killam Children’s Hospital, IWK Foundation, Mental Health Foundation of Nova Scotia, Metro Community Housing, Neptune Theatre Foundation, Nova Scotia Talent Trust, Sport Nova Scotia, QEII Health Services Centre Foundation and the Victorian Order of Nurses of Greater Halifax, to name a few.
Our strong commitment to the community benefits our clients in this industry. Participation on boards affords us first-hand knowledge of the functioning of these types of organizations, as well as many of the issues that board members face on an ongoing basis.
In this sector, the individuals who serve voluntarily on boards often do not have the specialized knowledge that is customary among members of corporate boards of directors. Therefore, a key service we perform is providing advice to members and directors.
How We Can Help
We provide advice and legal services on a variety of issues including:
- The structure of the organization
- Incorporating and registering as a charity with Canada Revenue Agency
- Ensuring that Bylaws reflect the particular requirements of the organization
- Accountability to the public
- Compliance regarding the handling of funds
- Compliance with income tax, GST/HST and municipal tax requirements
- Tax planning with respect to receiving donations and other income, significant purchases and sales and disbursement of fundraising revenues. For more information please refer to our Taxation Team.
- Agreements including employment contracts and contracts for services
Oops! We could not locate your form.