It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Tim Hill, K.C. on May 8, 2023.
Tim joined BOYNECLARKE LLP as Counsel in 2012 and was a valued member of the Business Litigation team.
Tim began his law career in 1985 as he graduated from Dalhousie University and began practicing in 1986 following his articling year. Over the last 38 years, Tim built a stellar reputation in the areas of secured creditor rights and liabilities, bankruptcy and insolvency and debt restructuring. He received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Insolvency Section of the Canadian Bar Association in 2012, and taught Bankruptcy and Insolvency classes at his alma matter for 20 years, ending in 2017.
Tim’s professional achievements include:
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada’s 2014-2023 editions for Insolvency and Financial Restructuring,
- Listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in 2020,
- Appointed to King’s Counsel (formerly Queen’s Counsel) in 2014,
- Participated in the Superintendent of Bankruptcy’s panel on Bankruptcy and reform,
- Assisted with the national training program for staff at the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy,
- Participated in the keynote panel at the National Conference of the Credit Institute of Canada in 2005,
- Acted as the Nova Scotia Registrar in Bankruptcy from 1997-2004.
Tim was also very committed to his community. He was the Chair of the Board of Directors of the St. Margaret’s Centre for 20 years and was instrumental in the expansion and renovation of the facility. He was awarded the Halifax Regional Municipality’s Volunteer Award in 2014.
Tim will be remembered as an incredible lawyer, dedicated community member, and highly regarded man. Tim’s family, friends, colleagues, and clients will all miss him very much. His dedication, his humour, and the way he embraced his life are all models for everyone in his life.
Our thoughts are with his children, Sam and Kate, and the rest of Tim’s loved ones during this difficult time.
Tim’s obituary can be read here.