It is with profound sadness that BOYNECLARKE LLP shares that David J. Bright, K.C. passed on March 1, 2023.
David was a dedicated law professional, first practicing at Claman, Dietrich, Clark, Bright & Clarke Barristers & Solicitors from 1972, until joining BOYNECLARKE in 1981. He then built his practice as an esteemed Business Litigation lawyer practicing in the areas of Civil Litigation, Criminal Law, Military Law, Personal Injury Law and Police Discipline. David had a stellar reputation and worked tirelessly on his clients’ behalf.
In his earlier years, David served with the Royal Canadian Navy as aircrew with Fleet Air Arm from HMCS Bonaventure, HMCS Shearwater, and USS Essex. He was also an instructor at Great Lakes Naval Training Centre for Reserve Forces and worked at Maritime Command Headquarters in Halifax as summer employment after he began studying at Dalhousie Law School.
David’s parallel expertise in the law and military service to Canada paved the way for a remarkable distinction, as David was named Honorary Colonel of 12 Air Maintenance Squadron at 12 Wing Shearwater in 2013.
Among David’s many awards, honors and recognitions are also:
- Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in Canada published by Best Lawyers ® 2006- 2019
- Martindale Hubbell Peer Review Rating of AV® Preeminent™ 5 out of 5
- Canadian Forces Decorations and Bar
- Appointed King’s Counsel (formally Queen’s) 1991
- Former Honourary Consul to the Kingdom of Lesotho, South Africa
- Appointed Standing Agent for Public Prosecution Service (Canada)
- Appointed Standing Agent for Public Prosecution Service (Nova Scotia)
- Chair – Military Affairs Committee, Ottawa (2 Terms)
- Member – Task Force for Military Rules of Court
- Member – Rules Committee for Court Martial Appeal Court of Canada
David leaves behind a legacy of stewardship, service, and dedication to the community, Canada and the practice of law.
David retired from BOYNECLARKE in 2019 as Counsel and a highly respected law practitioner. Former BOYNECLARKE CEO & Managing Partner, Jamie MacNeil shared the following on David’s retirement: “Mr. Bright is a lawyer without equals… his name and reputation is at the paramount of the profession. He is widely respected by fellow lawyers, clients, police, the military and the judiciary. David built a reputation as an incredibly capable lawyer, but also one whose word was gospel. He is integrity!”
BOYNECLARKE is deeply grateful for David’s years of dedication to our firm. We offer our sincere condolences to his wife, Marilyn, and to David’s family and friends during this difficult time. The family will be holding a small private service; however, condolences may be left online here.
David’s obituary can be read here.