- 1986: Bachelor of Laws, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 1978: Bachelor of Arts, Acadia University, Wolfville, Nova Scotia
About J.W. Stephen
J.W. Stephen Johnston practices in the area of personal injury and insurance litigation and has been a member of the Nova Scotia Bar for 35 years, appearing in front of all levels of court in Nova Scotia. In addition, he has been a Small Claims Court Adjudicator for 15 years and has generated hundreds of decisions over that period of time, including a diverse range of legal issues.
Stephen has worked in the insurance industry for more than 26 years, initially as a senior claims analyst, and more recently, as senior in-house defence counsel.
His primary focus over the past twenty years has been in the defence of personal injury claims for the largest personal and commercial insurer in Canada. He has developed an intimate understanding of the workings of the insurance industry in regards to both personal injury claims and the interpretation of personal and commercial coverage’s.
J.W. Stephen's Background
- 2018: Counsel, BOYNECLARKE LLP, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 2003 - 2018: Small Claims Court Adjudicator, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 2000-2018: In-house Counsel, Intact Insurance, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 1991 - 2000: Claims Analyst, ING Insurance, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- 1987 - 1991: Associate Lawyer, Miller & Associates, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- 1981 - 1983: Educator, Queen Elizabeth High School, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Member - Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
- Presenter - 2019 APTLA Conference St. John’s, NL
- Presenter - 2013 APTLA Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Guest Presenter - Dalhousie Law School, Halifax, Nova Scotia