Providing practical and effective governance strategies.
We regularly provide clients with practical and effective governance strategies tailored to the needs of the client, regardless of size or nature of operations. We have advised on both Canadian and international governance matters, knowing that there is no template that meets the needs of all organizations. We work with both profit and not-for-profit organizations to develop governance structures focused on improved effectiveness and accountability. Organizations that take governance seriously will in fact be more effective. Smart decisions are made when there are good policies and procedures in place to ensure that the best information gets to the board. Our business team includes lawyers who have advised public companies and private issuers on governance issues and strategies, and we regularly counsel directors and officers on their roles and responsibilities.
We can assist with:
- Boards – Structure, Best Practices, Duties & Liabilities, Ethics & Compliance;
- Shareholder Rights – Shareholder Engagement, Voting Rights, Oppression Remedies;
- Audit and Compensation Committees – Composition, Responsibilities, Disclosure;
- Independent and Special Committees for Special Transactions;
- Internal and Regulatory Investigations;
- Governance for Private and Public Companies, and;
- Securities Regulation.
In particular, Claire E. Milton, Q.C. has a great deal of experience as general counsel to a leading Canadian public company, and she holds the ICD.D designation from the Institute of Corporate Directors. She has had hands on responsibility for writing disclosure documents, including management information circulars and annual reports. She was a regular contributor to publications of the Canadian Investor Relations Institute and was interviewed for the book, “Made in Canada Leadership: Wisdom from the Nation’s Best and Brightest on the Art and Practice of Leadership”, by Amal Henein and Francoise Morissette. John and Claire, like many of Business Law Team members, have served on a variety of corporate boards including:
- Secunda International Limited (past);
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (past);
- Waterfront Development Corporation Limited (past), and;
- Royal Nova Scotia Tattoo Society.
- Canadian Lawyers Insurance Association (2013-present);
- Mount Saint Vincent University (2004-2010);
- Metro United Way (1995 – 1999);
- Nova Scotia Equestrian Federation, and;
- Dressage Canada (2008 – 2009).